Struthers Elementary School is part of the Struthers City School District, which is located in Mahoning County, just south of Youngstown. Struthers Elementary School became a centralized elementary housing kindergarten through fourth grade on August 26, 2002. The new building was funded by the Ohio School Facilities Commission and a bond issue passed by the residents of Struthers, and the cost of the project was $8,933,205. Currently, there are over 700 students attending Struthers Elementary.
As early as 1801, there were some wooden one-room buildings in Struthers. The first fire-resistant public school in Struthers was located on the corner of Elm Street and Terrace. In 1906, the one-room Elm Street building was replaced by a school with eight rooms.
Throughout the history of the Struthers City Schools, there were many neighborhood elementary schools. Highland Avenue School, built in 1908 for $25,000, was in operation from 1909 until 1978. Sexton Street School was built in 1913 and occupied in 1914. Indoor restroom facilities were added in 1918, and other renovations were made in 1955 and 1991. Center Street School was built in 1917 for $40,000 with a gymnasium added in 1958-59. Lyon Creed School was built in 1915 and was demolished in 1975. Lyon Plat and Manor Avenue School were the newest buildings built in 1959 for $236,211. Lyon Plat, Center Street, Sexton Street and Manor Avenue Schools were the last four neighborhood schools with students in kindergarten through fourth grade before merging to become Struthers Elementary School.
Fifth Street School was built in 1928 for $150,000 and occupied in 1929. There were renovations to the school in 1955 and 1991. Fifth Street School, another neighborhood elementary school, became Struthers Middle School in 1993, housing all of our students grades five through eight. In 2002, the school closed for renovations, which were made possible by the OFSC and the bond issue. It re-opened in 2003 and currently has over 630 students.