Fifth Street School was built in 1928 for $150,000 and occupied in 1929. Wilson Creed, a former Struthers High School graduate and an instructor at the high school, was named by the Board as the first principal of Fifth Street School. He served as principal for 35 years.
In 1955, the district expanded the building by constructing an additional wing. In 1991, the community passed a 3.8 mil bond issue to expand the school to its current size today. Fifth Street School was originally a neighborhood elementary school housing students kindergarten through sixth grade. In 1993, Fifth Street School became Struthers Middle School educating students grades fifth through eighth. Struthers Middle School was named by OAESA a Hall of Fame School for the 2000-2001 school year. In 2002, the school closed for renovations, which were made possible by the Ohio School Facilities Commission and the bond issue passed by the residents of Struthers. It re-opened in 2003 and currently has over 630 students.